Fixing Holes in a Wool Coat ~ Restoring a 1960s Wool Coat


Hello and join me for the restoration
of this lovely 1960s Austrian wool coat. I came across this coat at Trove Vintage
Boutique in Seattle. Overall it’s in beautiful condition and has some cool
details such as these buttons, and the green piping that defines the pockets and the front
edge of the jacket. I love how it defines the lines. It is 100% wool
and you’ll see here on the inside it has a nice Paisley lining and a union made
tag, which I always appreciate. However, when I left the shop I did notice after
I bought it that there were some holes in the wool in a few spots, as you’ll see
underneath the collar, on the sleeve and at the bottom. So I first thought that I
might return the jacket but I decided instead to buy a felting kit to use the
needle in order to felt parts of the jacket. So I have some of my supplies here. The
first place I decided to source wool from might be inside of the pocket
but I decided that I didn’t want to reduce the amount of wool in there for
my hands when I was trying to keep them warm. So I instead found some in an inner
seam that was open. I pulled wool from there and I just pulled out some
little tufts that came out pretty easily. There you see my felting needle and some
of the wool I have accumulated. So once I got enough wool, which really wasn’t that
much, I put it over the biggest spot and just tried a little bit of a time poking
it in and then worked it in with my felting needle slowly. I tried to
secure it into the fabric. As you saw before, there was kind of some stitching
to hold it in. I was trying to poke it through that to attach it to it and then
also kind of create the texture and flatten it back into the jacket to form
it as part of the rest of the wool layer. The felting needle you see
here is larger than a regular needle. It has grooves on the sides that help it catch
the fibers and I got this one at Daiso. So here I was both trying to secure it
in and then start creating some texture. I was a little nervous about making too
tight of a texture. I didn’t want it to look weird and different from the rest
of the jacket. So as I was doing this I could feel it
kind of stabbing through different layers of the fabric and poking the
interior lining that Paisley lining you saw earlier. So I was a little careful to
not stick the needle in too too far but to still get it through that layer of
the woven fabric. I did want to show you this in real
time so even though I have a blip there you have a sense of how long it took me
to do this process. I didn’t want to cut anything out – I wanted to show it as it
happened. So there you see it’s starting to come together and starting to look
like the rest of the wool fabric. There it was in the beginning and that
is after the felting. It’s pretty hard to tell where it even was. Here was
another little hole. There was one on the base and it’s hard to see there but a
tiny one the collar. And there’s after those spots were repaired. They did
blend super well. We were pretty impressed. It was actually hard to
find them to film again. I wasn’t super happy with the texture right here so we
went back and I tried to change the directionality of how that wool was
sitting. Here’s the final of the bottom and I do want to go back and
maybe touch up a little bit of that a little more. Overall it’s much better. There you have the final project. It came fresh and new.
I had already dry cleaned this prior to the restoration so that any extra
handling wouldn’t affect the outcomes. Overall I’m pretty happy with it. Alright,
thanks for joining us. And here’s a sneak preview of the 1960’s dress I’ll be
talking about next time and how I removed pen marks, rust stains, and fixed
the beading on it. Join me for that.

1 thought on “Fixing Holes in a Wool Coat ~ Restoring a 1960s Wool Coat

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *